Thursday, November 02, 2006

The world is full of stupid people



Went last night to see Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers (one of my favorite bands) at the Beachland Ballroom (one of my favorite venues) with Mariella, Mary (who stole my Americano! CD), Lisa (Mariella's friend) and eventually Uncle George. Mariella pointed out that I have a serious man crush on Roger Clyne - which I won't deny. I love their music, their message and the memories they bring back of college and my buddy Shane in Arizona.

The opening act was As Fast As. They were amazing. They we're totally funky and covered Bowie's "All the young dudes." I picked up one of their discs for $5 and, frankly, I like them better live. If you get a chance to see them, check them out.

Uncle George showed up about 3 songs into the RCPM set - claiming that we stiffed him. I tend to forget which shows I recommend, so I forgot to call him. Which, I guess, does constitute "stiffing." He didn't want to stand by the speakers so I spent half the time with the girls and half the time with him in the back. And really the sound was better in the back and you didn't have to deal with nincompoops holding camera's over their heads for the whole show. (C'mon, people. What are you going to do with 300 photos of this show?!) I've probably seen this band 10 times and every show is more crowded than the last and filled more and more with the Dave Mathews/Abercrombie&Fitch/recovering frat-boy Crowd, which worries me. And there's a few too many people wearing Roger Clyne shirts. Did you learn nothing from Jeremy Pivin in PCU?! (Which BTW is an under-rated college flick.)You don't wear the shirt of the band you're seeing to the show. "Don't be that guy." And Mariella doesn't like the fact that pretty much everyone at the show (myself included) knew every word to every song - I suppose that would be annoying.



I did get this poster. It was made by Sandusky Bay Poster Works. They do amazing work. It's the fifth Roger Clyne one in my collection. I think this is one of the best unfortunately it's considerably smaller than the other ones in the series - ruining my standard size framing system. I guess I'll have to get a mat.

Overall, good show and a fun time.

No comments: